Sunday, January 14, 2007

Day 7 & Highlights from the Road Trip

We're HERE! in Mexico City, sitting in probably the coolest coffee shop in the world. There are books, CDs, DVDs lining the sea-green walls, a spiraling staircase that leads up to the second floor where more books can be found - giving it an old library feel - along with a quaint study room and more sitting areas. They play excellent music here too which is always a major point in my book.

But my traveling buddy JS (who lives here in DF) swears me to secrecy so I can't reveal the location of his coffee shop to the world (especially NOT to his teammates). He's afraid people would swarm and pollute his beloved secret spot. I think I understand the feeling.

Today is Day 7 of my journey and I'm so happy to be out of the car. We drove from Los Angeles to Mexico City, via Tucson Arizona, Austin Texas, Monterrey Mexico. Some highlights from the road trip:
  • AUSTIN TEXAS!! What a sweet spot in the great state of Texas. If you've never been, it's worth a visit. We had a marvelous breakfast at Kerby Lane (where some bird stole a Splenda packet from the table next to us!), walked around South Congress area, bought wine for our hosts, Tony and Carmen (Pat's friends - thanks Pat!) - only to find that one of the bottles is EXACTLY the bottle they worked on when they spent 2 months at a winery in Mendoza Argentina. Tony and Carmen fed us, talked to us, blessed us with laughter and sweet conversations. I think we have found new friends!
  • As a byproduct of sitting in the car for days at a time, JS (my travel buddy) and I shared many moments of "That's exactly what I'm thinking! Are you reading my mind?" On the way to Monterrey we drove on a one-lane highway - opposing traffic on the other lane. Cars are allowed to pass using the other lane so long as you don't, you know, kill people while you're at it. JS drove the whole time, ducking and weaving and playing chicken. Then he commented: now, if only we had a Ferrari we woulda made that one. I laughed and said, Dude, I just said that like 5 minutes ago. He didn't hear me, he said, you said Ferrari? I said: Yes. Exactly Ferrari. Wait so you didn't hear me say Ferrari? No. Okay. Weird!!
  • Monterrey, Mexico - I stumbled out to the kitchen/dining area of the massive house we were staying in because I was hungry. Typical problem, really, except that I don't speak any Spanish. The housekeeper, Manuela, said Hola, Como estas and then I caught every other word. I told her "Comprendo un poquito pero no hablo Espanol" or something to that extent. Patiently she asked me (and thankfully my 2 yrs of French and 1 yr of Spanish came in handy) what I wanted to eat. And hey, food is universal language. We had a nice "chat" - I learned that the lady of the house is a vegetarian, but Manuela herself loves Italian, Chinese and Japanese food; Mexicans are proud of their produce and meat products, she said, because unlike en EU (the US) they are all natural, healthy. She also commented on my eating (You eat a lot but you're so little!). Amazing how people can connect around food even when we don't fully understand each other.
  • Driving from Monterrey to DF: beautiful mountains every direction you look and a sweet sunset. But JS would like me to point out the challenge of driving in the dark - no reflectors on the lines or railings; signs are plenty but they may be positioned too late for you to realize you've taken the wrong turn; not to mention taking the turn and find yourself on the shoulder instead of on a ramp! Whew!
  • The first night of the trip we spent in Tucson Arizona. Though I hardly saw the town I hung out with friends of a friend, three sweet ladies who live in the house, and got to know the town through them. There's something about the desert, they said, people are drawn to it and don't know why they stay except that they know they'll find healing there. This was confirmed a few hours later by JS' friend Ryan who basically said, God told me to come here.

I pray that I hear God, too, and find healing. Though it looks like I'm done with the desert. Off to the mountains and the beaches!!

Until next time. And maybe I can get some pics up for your enjoyment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! yay! yay!!! happiness...

ss

Tim Hwang said...

glad ya made it safely down there! yes, please enamor your blogs with pictures. you know how much i love em.

have a safe and enjoyable travel....take care of yourself and hear His voice en Mexico.

evil-lyn said...

so glad you made it safe and sound...and very glad that it sounds like you're having an awesome time!

miss you!

tatonkaride said...

Kerbey Lane is one of my favorite spots for breakfast in the world! I love their hearty pancakes!

I too had a rough time crossing the border at Nuevo Laredo once...was just glad that I didn't have to ride with the goats.

Very happy that you made it down to your destination (for now)! Oh, I heard back from my friend in Chile, he's confused, so I need to clear something up, but I should be able to get you his details soon.

Stop and listen to the world breathe! You're continuously in my thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

I'll tell Manuela that you wrote about her! She will be excited!

If I prayed, I would pray for your healing (and mine too).

Wish you best,
SP